#1 spooledup

spooledup

Real cars have 3 pedals!!!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts
  • Political Party: Who Cares

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

I am looking at purchasing a diesel truck in the future and I need some advice. I need to decide between a Dodge Cummins, or a Ford Powerstroke. I like the 99-01 Ford styling and the 2002+ Dodge styling. If money was not an option I would pick the 2002+ Dodge but I know they are going to be more.

I like the 6 cylinder Cummins motor the most, Ive had good experiences with a straight 6. But If I am to go with Dodge I will probably have to go with the older body style 2001 and older to be in my price range. I think they are cool trucks but I don't care much for the styling and I really want a full 4 door truck.

I want to know is which truck will be the most reliable if I were to get it with around 130-160K miles? I know diesels are great with higher mileage and the motors last very long. But I want to know which truck will be more reliable overall. Drivetrain, AC, power steering, 4 wheel drive, ect..... Which trucks have the strongest auto transmissions?

Here is what I will need out of the truck. It will be mostly a daily and will tow occasionally. The most I could ever see it needing to tow would be my Supra in an enclosed trailer. So I know any diesel will more then get the job done. I want something comfortable to drive, and reliable.

This last thing I want might sound stupid to some of you, but this is another thing I want. I want a truck that will pour out black smoke with just minor mods (programmer, ect...) Like I said it will be more of a daily and Ive never been much of a truck person so this would let me have some fun while driving. It would also be cool to have something decently fast to beat riced out Hondas ect... I don't want to get into upgrading the turbo or any really expensive mods to achieve this. Which truck could get this job done without needing to upgrade the transmission. Also I want an automatic.

Thanks Cisco

DSC_0186sig.jpg

#2 Cornbread

Cornbread

Cornelius Breadington

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • Interests:Your mom.

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

You don't need a diesel. Don't waste your time or money.

#3 Alan

Alan

Someone call the NAACP on my avatar...

• Legacy Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  • Political Party: Republican

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

well cisco, I don't know a shit ton about diesels but I know a bit, but a lot of it is mainly preference, but I like the duramax the best with the alison but between the dodge and ford I would say the cummins is the most proven diesel and when I worked at the lube I had a customer who had a 99 cummins with 980,000 miles and still ran and looked great. don't get me wrong, all 3 engines are amazing, but the alison pushes the duramax over the top for me

so if I were to get a diesel this would be my order

1. GMC DURAMAX w/ALISON transmission
2. Dodge CUMMINS
3. Ford Powerstroke

so when you are ready to buy your gonna come talk to me right? I sold a dubber a car today and just because he was a member of RSW I gave him a 2700 dollar discount.

Edited by Alan, 26 January 2008 - 07:27 PM.

#4 hondaman

hondaman

Rollerized C4's by SlowJoe

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(Cornbread @ Jan 26 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not he will be pulling the supra to TX or further, there is no way a gas truck is better at pulling than a diesel will be in any way.

#5 Alan

Alan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE(Cornbread @ Jan 26 2008, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He doesn't NEED a 800 horse power Supra, but he wanted one.

#6 Cornbread

Cornbread

Cornelius Breadington

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

Holy shit, get your mouth off his dick.

It would be cheaper to rent a U-haul for the very few times a year he would need to tow, rather than invest thousands and thousands of dollars into owning his own diesel pickup.

Get real, people.

#7 Alan

Alan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:20 PM

What ever dude, Cisco want's a fucking diesel and he asked for opinions on what truck to get, not an opinion of whether to get one. Besides, why the fuck is it up to you to decide what he does and doesnt need

Edited by Alan, 26 January 2008 - 08:22 PM.

#8 hondaman

hondaman

Rollerized C4's by SlowJoe

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(Cornbread @ Jan 26 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be cheaper to rent a U-haul for the very few times a year he would need to tow, rather than invest thousands and thousands of dollars into owning his own diesel pickup.

Get real, people.

I suppose it would be cheaper to rent a U-haul everytime he needs to move a vending machine aswell handjob.gif

#9 Cornbread

Cornbread

Cornelius Breadington

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(hondaman @ Jan 26 2008, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Cornbread @ Jan 26 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get real, people.

I suppose it would be cheaper to rent a U-haul everytime he needs to move a vending machine aswell handjob.gif

OMG!!! VENDING MACHINES ARE 14,000 POUNDS AND REQUIRE A DIESEL TO MOVE!!!!

Again... get real.

He can rent a V8 pickup from Enterprise for four days for less than $150 with unlimited miles. If he buys his own trailer, he will be able to tow whenever he wants. If he tows 10 times a year, four days at a time, that's $1,500! That's 40 days of towing!

You can't tell me that spending over $10,000 on purchasing an old diesel truck is smarter than renting.

#10 Whipplecharged

Whipplecharged

Adminstrator

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:29 PM

Jesus Sean, you don't need a ridiculous ass name like Cornbread, yet you want everyone to call it...

Older, the Cummins hands down, but your buying the motor, not the truck.

#11 Cornbread

Cornbread

Cornelius Breadington

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(Whipplecharged @ Jan 26 2008, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jesus Sean, you don't need a ridiculous ass name like Cornbread, yet you want everyone to call it...

Older, the Cummins hands down, but your buying the motor, not the truck.

My name is not Sean, dork. shannon.gif

#12 spooledup

spooledup

Real cars have 3 pedals!!!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:32 AM

I want a truck so I can haul my shit around. Take the quad to the Puerco, ect... I am tired of borrowing a truck when I need to move stuff. I know a gas truck would bore the hell out of me. A turbo diesel is fun to drive so thats what I want. If I was not in need of a truck I would be looking at picking up a 97-98 240sx.

DSC_0186sig.jpg

#13 BlackZ28

BlackZ28

myspace.com/detailworx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 04:52 AM

get your years straight Cisco lol

Dodge Ram 2500-3500 94-98.5 are 12-valves, EXTREMELY easy and cheap to make good power and VERY reliable, then 98.5-2002 was the 24-valves, which takes electronics to make it go fast but still none-the-less relable and takes a little bit of cash to make them roll out the coal. 2002 1500 Changed to the current body style, hence my truck is the last of the 2nd gen styling.

I would look at a 12 valve Cummins because they are cheaper all around, purchasing, moding etc.

If you go with a D-Max you will be having to shell out some $$ but they are really nice trucks.

If you go Powerstroke you'd wish you had gone Cummins.

#14 lotero

lotero

Floor Jack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(BlackZ28 @ Jan 27 2008, 04:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
get your years straight Cisco lol

Dodge Ram 2500-3500 94-98.5 are 12-valves, EXTREMELY easy and cheap to make good power and VERY reliable, then 98.5-2002 was the 24-valves, which takes electronics to make it go fast but still none-the-less relable and takes a little bit of cash to make them roll out the coal. 2002 1500 Changed to the current body style, hence my truck is the last of the 2nd gen styling.

I would look at a 12 valve Cummins because they are cheaper all around, purchasing, moding etc.

If you go with a D-Max you will be having to shell out some $$ but they are really nice trucks.

If you go Powerstroke you'd wish you had gone Cummins.

this is very accurate. also about the cummins, you are buying the motor and not the truck. this subject could go either way but obviously i am cummins biased. that being said i know the ins and outs, weak links, what to look for, what to watch out for etc. i have been through alot of parts and just about every weak link these trucks have. i can make it smoke, make it reliable and show you what mistakes i made that way you dont make them. cisco if you want to talk cummins or are looking at one your better off calling me (263-5903-Luis) and i will talk to you about most things there is to know about 98.5-00 cummins and can get you experts on the other years.

#15 Astro_Mikey

Astro_Mikey

Whar Japanese girls? WHAR?!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts
  • Interests:Astrophysics, NHL/ice hockey, auto-x/road racing, studying other languages, n'at.

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:08 AM

'01 Dodge Ram Cummins diesel and be done with it.
Mikey

Posted Image Posted Image

"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway. "
- Crow T. Robot (Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie)

TEAM HANDBANANA: MEMBER #1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users